Inside-Out Impact – A Reflection from an Outside Student

The following is a reflection from Bella, a past Outside student who took Inside-Out “Autobiography as Political Agency” with Professor Anita Chari.

“There are some expected highlights to an Inside-Out class; I knew I would gain a different view of the criminal justice system and some perspective on life from people with very different lived experiences than mine. I never imagined the most significant benefit the program would have in my life, teaching me how to foster meaningful connections with others. We often live in a world that is full of artificial constraints. On a college campus, everyone is often rushing onto the next thing in their busy schedule. Class is often just one more thing to check off of a to-do list, and even when you do show up prepared, oftentimes, others are stressed or tired or distracted, leading to conversation that is dull or repetitive. There are social pressures to perform but not stand out, sound intelligent and well-informed but not superfluous, and say the right things around the right people. When I was taking my Inside-Out course, none of these typical distractions or pressures were present, and I could show up fully as myself. Everyone worked hard to get into the course and was passionate about gaining the most from it.

We spent much time in every class sharing our stories. When engaging in these deep conversations with classmates, I could show up and be fully present, sharing my experiences and carefully listening to them. Many Inside students shared how they learned to survive and thrive in their environment. Most were my age when they went to prison, and instead of finding their identity on a college campus, they did it behind bars. They spoke on the importance of community, intentionality, and showing up for others. Their presence in our classroom echoed these values, and I found myself inspired by the value they gave to our class in their lives. The paths of high-achieving college students and incarcerated people often do not cross, and the mere fact we were able to share a classroom was an incredible gift. Since there were no superficial similarities in our lives, our conversations skipped “small talk” and dove deeper into our core stories and values. The connections forged from these conversations were deep and meaningful, we bonded over our shared humanity. I’ve since tried to practice bringing the elements of connection I forged with my classmates into my everyday life. I try to show up for others intentionally and be present when trying to get to know someone better or catch up with a friend. Instead of engaging on superficial topics, I ask deep questions and try to create environments free from distractions where one can be comfortable and free to be themselves. Most importantly, I am intentional to share with others the incredible connections I experienced with Inside students so that they too can see those who society views as flawed outcasts through a lens of shared humanity.”